Securing the Invictus Games for Canada
Following the success of the inaugural Invictus Games in London in 2014, Prince Harry and the Invictus Games Foundation invited nations to submit a bid to host future Invictus Games in their homeland.
The True Patriot Love Foundation (TPL)—Canada’s leading national charity for military families—made a submission and secured the Games for Canada. The Invictus Games themselves further TPL’s ongoing mandate to help raise awareness and needed support for wounded, ill and injured active and veteran members of the Canadian Armed Forces and their families.
Following the successful bid, TPL created the Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee to deliver the third instalment of the Invictus Games in Toronto in 2017.
To learn more about the True Patriot Love Foundation and its work on behalf of Canadian soldiers, veterans and their families, please visit truepatriotlove.com.
The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee’s mission is to honour the men and women who have come face-to-face with the realities of sacrificing for their country, by using the power of sport to help them on their journey to recovery.
The Organizing Committee will plan and execute an extraordinary Invictus Games to:
- Ensure the Invictus Games Toronto 2017 harness the power of sport to inspire recovery and rehabilitation, and generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve their countries and their families.
- Provide a platform for wounded, ill and injured service members—both active duty and veteran—to continue achieving their physical, emotional, mental and spiritual goals.
- Showcase the unconquerable spirit of the world’s wounded, ill and injured service members on an international platform and inspire others to be “Invictus.”
- Encourage a national conversation among Canadians about the sacrifices of its Canadian Armed Forces, and provide them with a much-needed forum to display their support and gratitude to its serving members and veterans.
A specially formed board of directors with far-reaching experience in the military, business and sport sectors governs the Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee. They are all passionate about the Invictus Games’ vision and the positive impact that sport can have on the recovery journey of wounded, ill and injured service members and veterans.
Board of Directors
The Right Honourable Paul Martin
Ret. Chief of Defence Rick Hillier
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Operations Officer
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Marketing Officer
“I couldn’t be more proud to be associated with the 2017 Invictus Games. This incredible organization is going to host the best Invictus Games ever, right here in Canada — and they deserve our support. It will be the largest event ever staged by Canadians for our military, veterans and their families, in a historic year that celebrates our country’s 150th anniversary and the 100th anniversary of Vimy Ridge.”
– Rick Hillier, Ret. Chief of Defense, Canadian Armed Forces