Reports To: Chief Marketing Officer
The Senior Manager, Special Projects & Activation will be responsible for leading activations and events for the organizing committee with the community, sponsors and partners including events, mascot, community outreach, torch relay, tourism and cultural programs. The Senior Manager, Special Projects will lead the planning and execution of high profile events and activations, as well as lead and mentor a group of activation professionals.
This role will help realize IG2017’s vision of “Transforming Empathy into Empowerment” by developing events and programs that will activate and drive public engagement and conversion for the organization.
Key areas of leadership responsibility:
• Major Events and Activations
• Community Outreach and Mascot
• Torch Relay
• Tourism and Cultural Programs
Key Job Responsibilities
Major Events and Activations
• Develops and implements a comprehensive plan to ensure success in organizing and executing major events for Invictus Games Toronto 2017 that meet corporate needs, as well as, engage the general public, media and stakeholders.
• Specifically, the Sr. Mgr of Special Projects will be responsible for leading major corporate events:
• One Year Countdown, Sept 24- Oct 2, 2016
• Volunteer Recruitment, November 2016
• Battle of Vimy Ridge 100th anniversary, April 9, 2017
• Ticket and torch relay launch, June 2017
• Games-time activations, September 2017
• Responsible for managing multi-million dollar department budget
• Develops strategic event plan and secures Senior Leadership Team approval
• Champions project charters for each event and provides leadership of a multi-departmental team including agencies and external partners
• Sets strategic plan for consumer engagement in the Games including community events, military institutions, youth programs, school presentations, mascot appearances.
• Provides leadership for the mascot and community outreach program to achieve a total of 200 school presentations, day camps and community events and festivals.
• Leverages sport, event and community industry connections for partnerships and engagement of general public.
• Develops and implements a dynamic and engaging torch relay program to touch the hearts and minds of all Canadians:
• Creates a memorable overseas torch lighting tour
• Maps out 36-day relay across Canada through 32 military bases and neighbouring cities
• Procures and manages torch relay service provider.
• Builds collaboration with partners and IG2017 functional areas
• Communicates torch relay activities to stakeholders, sponsors and partners.
Tourism and Cultural Program
• Develops programs and partnerships with events, attractions and cultural institutions to create an Invictus cultural program in association with the Games.
• Secures support and leads relationship with Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC), Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership (OTMPC), Tourism Toronto and City of Toronto cultural group.
• Develops tourism activities in support of the Games.
People and Function Management
• Creates a culture within Special Projects department consistent with IG2017 brand and core mission of transforming empathy into empowerment.
• Leadership and management of 1 manager, two coordinators and a team of associates, co-op students and intern
• Be project champion for the Special projects volunteer work group.
• Manages multi-million dollar program budget and activities.
• Develops and delivers functional foundation plans for SPP function.
• All levels of staff and management within IG2017
• Interns and volunteers
• Tourism, events, attraction and cultural groups
• Community groups
• Games Stakeholders and partners
• Suppliers and vendors
• Relevant government agencies, departments, and ministries
• Undergraduate degree in related discipline preferred
• 10+ years progressive experience in an event and community engagement environment
• Strong understanding of events, special projects, public activations and engagement.
• Exceptional project management skills
• Ability to develop strategic and operational/tactical plans
• Prior games experience or large complex event expertise preferred
• Empathy for the cause of helping military families
• Superior interpersonal & communication skills, and strong client service orientation
• Adaptable and flexible approach; able to deal sensitively with tough issues and drive balanced outcomes
• Well-developed counseling skills- excellent listening skills
• Strong initiative, self-starter, influential; facilitator and driver of change; focused on goals and end results- can bring people along
• Genuine interest in, and empathy with people
• Diplomatic and discrete; personal maturity
• Strong ability to network- internally & externally
• Professional, dedicated & ethical
• Good sense of humor and strong team player
Invictus Games – Toronto 2017 is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
How to apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title of the job position in the subject line of your email.