Reports to: Manager, Accommodation
English: Required / French: Desirable
Term: September 2016 to October 2017
(13 month volunteer leadership role)
Are you looking for hands-on experience in a dynamic organization? Do you want to make a contribution to an event that will touch Canadians across the country in the year of our 150th anniversary? Join us in what promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
Invictus Games Toronto 2017 is a not-for-profit organization tasked with planning and delivering the third installment of the Invictus Games being held in Toronto in September 2017. This will be the largest Invictus Games yet, building on the momentum of London 2014 and Orlando 2016. The Games will feature more than 600 military competitors from 16 nations competing in 12 sports. The Invictus Games are the only international adaptive sporting event for wounded, injured and ill active duty and veteran service members.
The Accommodation function acts as venue management for the Host Hotel and is responsible for the creation of an Athletes Village environment for visiting competitors, team staff, and family members. Together with the Accommodation Manager and the Host Hotel, the Accommodation Work Group Chair will lead project meetings to support the planning and execution of the Host Hotel Operations games time.
This will be achieved through the recruitment of a volunteer Work Group that includes team leads in the following areas:
• Hotel Services
• Hotel F&B
• Hotel Operations
The Work Group Chair will be responsible for recruiting team leads and managing the Accommodation Volunteer Work Group through the planning and operations phases. The Work Group will carry out the following tasks:
• Finding and presenting creative solutions for operational challenges.
• Completion of Village Operating Plans, by writing and collecting key deliverable from functional areas.
• Working with the Sports and Hospitality functional areas to ensure smooth and efficient delivery of all customers’ group needs.
• Along with Transport & Logistics functional areas, plan the arrival and departure process, integrating plans into the Hotel’s existing operations.
• Leading the planning and operate a games time Village Operations Centre
• Produce and present workforce training material
• Creating and implementing plans that will ensure the hotel becomes a gathering place for competitors and friends & family.
• Planning and executing amenities, services, and entertainment in the hotel that allows competitors to relax and perform at their best.
• Work with Games Sponsors on activations that add value to the guest experience.
• Responsible for the room assignments for all client groups staying at the hotel
• Communicating with host hotel’s services and accreditation functional area to coordinate and plan accommodation room assignments.
Food & Beverage
• Arrange for all food and beverage requirements for all client groups.
• Execute the F&B planning process including menu negotiations, profitability analysis, scheduling, and floorplans for meal halls.
• Ensure optimization with meals planed at Hotel and meals planned on venues to avoid food wastage.
• Proven track record of success in the hospitality industry.
• Familiarity with hotel operations, conferences/conventions, or event operations.
• Experience in project management with the ability to develop strategic and operational plans.
• Exceptional people management skills- leader, coach, and mentor; prior experience in volunteer management helpful.
• Adaptable and flexible approach.
• Good sense of humour and strong team player.
• Strong organization skills who is proactive, can lead a team and can get things done.
Invictus Games – Toronto 2017 is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
During the initial planning phase, this position requires a time commitment of approximately 8 hours/month, including meetings on evenings or weekends. As summer of 2017 approaches, the time commitment will increase. During Games Time (Sept 22-Oct 1, 2017), this role will evolve and require a minimum of 8 shifts in a leadership role in the Host Hotel.
Estimated Start Date: September 15, 2016
How to apply
Please email your cover letter and resume by August 12, 2016 to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line of your email.
Please note: this is an unpaid volunteer position.